We’ve all been there. Barely sleeping a wink on a flight before going sightseeing? Check. Trying to ace an exam after pulling an all nighter? Check. Taking on the world on just a few hours of sleep? Check! Doing more and sleeping less has become one of the most common mantras by humans all over the world. But is adjusting our schedules to do as much as possible by sacrificing sleep actually good for us?
It can certainly go the wrong way. Sleep deprivation can make us dumber than we actually are, affecting our ability to make conscious and wise decisions. As a result, we make foolish choices – and yes, do dumb things!
While the list of possibilities are endless, we’ve curated a list of top 15 dumbest things that humans do (in our opinion, at least) when we are deprived of sleep. We’ve listed it out in the order of time of day, so think of this as the dumbest day, ever!
- Waking up on a Sunday thinking it’s a weekday
- Forgetting if you put soap on your body while in the shower
- Using something that’s not toothpaste as toothpaste (like…foot cream)
- Putting contact lenses into the eye that already has one in
- Or falling asleep wearing contact lenses, waking up the next morning forgetting that you didn’t take them out, and putting a fresh pair over them
- Making a bowl of cereal, and putting the milk in the cabinet and box of cereal in the fridge
- Adding baking soda instead of salt into your omelette
- Carefully making and eating a chicken salad… but forgetting to put in the chicken
- Putting the remote control in the fridge
- Spending forever looking for your keys/phone only to discover you were holding them the whole time
- Calling your child by your pet’s name
- Leaving the house with your shirt inside out
- Leaving the house in indoor slippers
- Turning up to an appointment a day earlier (!!)
- Riding a bicycle to the store, and taking the bus home
- Losing your car in the carpark
- Overshooting your destination by an incredibly long distance – without realising that you’ve driven way more than necessary
- Walking away from an ATM without taking the cash
- Throwing your transit card into the rubbish bin
- Deciding to stay awake for another 12 hours because *you’ve made it this far*
“Thanks”, sleep deprivation! While these incidents are often “funny” stories to tell in hindsight, it’s also important that we recognise that sleep deprivation isn’t an issue to joke about and can lead to dire consequences. Because not only does sleep deprivation mean you’re not getting enough sleep, it can also lead to many health issues eventually, like forgetfulness, low immunity, and even mood swings and depression.
When we notice that we’re getting less sleep than we need and that it’s affecting our daily lives, it’s certainly a sign that we need to nip sleep deprivation in the bud!
To conquer sleep deprivation, a relaxing bedtime routine is crucial. Some of the things you can do are soaking in a bath, reading, meditating to calm your mind before bed, and sticking to a consistent bedtime so you can drift off peacefully to sleep.
And of course, you’ve got to make sure your bed is a seriously comfortable spot to snuggle in too! Your bed has to look so inviting and cosy that you can’t wait to get in it at night! Covering your bed with our soft and cooling Heavenluxe sheets can help you do just that. >>>Shop Heavenluxe sheets now
If at any point, however, you feel that sleep deprivation is taking a toll on you and nothing you’ve tried seems to work, there’s no shame in seeking medical help. Don’t let sleep problems, and dumb consequences, linger. And always remember that we are here for you to make sleep better! Afterall, we all deserve good sleep – and no excuse can deprive us of that.